- Assoc Professor of Practice, Dept of Engineering Education
223 Hitchcock Hall
2070 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, The Ohio State University, 2000
M.S., Chemical Engineering, The Ohio State University, 1982
B.S., Chemical Engineering, The Ohio State University, 1979
Vice-Chair for Programs ASEE 2016 – 2018
- Grzybowski, D.M. Unraveling VIIP Etiology – An Exploratory Symposium; “CSF Outflow and human arachnoid models,” The National Space Biomedical Research Institute, Houston, Texas, February 10, 2014.
- Grzybowski, D.M. 11th Psychoimmunology Expert Meeting, “Human meningeal barrier property modulation with pressure,” Schloss Reisensburg, Gunzburg, Germany, March 8, 2012.
- “Exploring the Impacts of Entrepreneurial Minded Learning (EML) on Student Motivation and Identity from Pilot to Scale in a First-Year Engineering Course,” Co-Principal Investigator, Kern Family Foundation, $293,707; Jan. 2018 – Aug. 2019.
- “Designing Together: Diversifying Participation in Engineering Education with High-Need Urban Schools,” Principal Investigator, Connect and Collaborate Implementation Grant, $85,793; 2017-2018.
- “Engineering Education for Students with Visual Impairments (EEVI) Project,” Principal Investigator, Ohio Department of Education, MSP Program, $301,108 (year 1 budget only, $300,000 expected year 2 budget); 8/2015-8/2017. (20% paid release time)
- “smART::ART Integrated Formal and Informal STEM Education,” Principal Investigator, OSU Engagement Impact Grant, $45,000; 2015-2017. (20% in-kind release time)
- “smART: Spatial Visualization and Creativity in Middle School Engineering,” Co-Investigator, Battelle Community STEM Challenge Grant, $53,000; 2015-2017.
- “1282.02H OSU Library Course Enhancement Grant,” Principal Investigator, $2,000; 2012-2013.
- 2010. "Ocular Disease: Mechanisms and Management." In idiopathic Pseudotumor Cerebri (iPTC), edited by Leonard A. Levin and Daniel M. Albert,
- Bowyer, T., Larson, J.R., Grzybowski, D.M., Hiremath, K., 2018, "Medical Restorative Massage Therapy as a Novel Treatment for Chronic Low Back Pain: A Retrospective Study." BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, in review.
- Dixon, K., Grzybowski, D.M., Le, J.V., Castro, C.E., 2018, "“Engaging Adolescent Girls in Engineering by Integrating Visual Art into DNA Origami Content." Journal of Engineering Education, in review.
- Wild, T., Grzybowski, D.M., Yang, S.J., Upton, J., 2018, "Engineering Education for Teachers of Students with Visual Impairment Professional Development Program." J. Visual Impairment & Blindness, in review.
- Himburg, H.A., Grzybowski, D.M., Hazel, A., LaMack, J., Friedman, M.H., 2016, "Comparison of Statistical Methods for Assessing Spatial Correlations between Maps of Different Arterial Properties." J Biomech Eng.
- Himburg, H.A.; Grzybowski, D.M.; Hazel, A.L.; LaMack, J.A. et al., 2016, "Discussion: "comparison of statistical methods for assessing spatial correlations between maps of different arterial properties" (Rowland, E. M., Mohamied, Y., Chooi, K. Y., Bailey, E. L., and Weinberg, P. D., 2015, ASME J. Biomech. Eng., 137(10), p. 101003): An alternative approach using segmentation based on local hemodynamics." Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 138, no. 9,
- Holman, D.W., Kurtcuoglu, V., Grzybowski, D.M., 2010, "Cerebrospinal Fluid Dynamics in the Human Cranial Subarachnoid Space - An Overlooked Mediator of Cerebral Disease. Part II: In Vitro Arachnoid Outflow Model.." J. Royal Society Interface 7, no. 49, 1205-1218 - 1205-1218.
- Gupta, S., Soellinger, M., Grzybowski, D.M., Boesiger, P., Biddiscombe, J., Eng, B., Poulikakos, D., Kurtcuoglu, V., 2010, "Cerebrospinal fluid dynamics in the human cranial subarachnoid space: an overlooked mediator of cerebral disease. I. Computational model.." J. Royal Society Interface
- Long,Amy,C; Bomser,Joshua,A; Grzybowski,Deborah,M; Chandler,Heather,L, 2010, "All-Trans Retinoic Acid Regulates Cx43 Expression, Gap Junction Communication and Differentiation in Primary Lens Epithelial Cells." CURRENT EYE RESEARCH 35, no. 8, 670-679 - 670-679.
- Rennebohm, R, M; Lubow, M; Rusin, J; Martin, L; Grzybowski, D, M; susac, J, O, 2008, "Aggressive immunosuppressive treatment of Susac's syndrome in an adolescent: using treatment of dermatomyositis as a model." Pediatric Rheumatology 3, no. 6,
- Baker KR, Zimmerman A, Grzybowdki DM, McLaughlin WR, Katz SE, Pfriem DB, Good GW, 2008, "Optical Quality and Impact Resistance Comparisons of Two Football Helmet Faceshields." Journal of the American Optometric Association 79, no. 8, 455-463 - 455-463.
- Lubow M; Grzybowski DM; Awad H, 2008, "Denilieukin diftitox vision loss is not posterior ischemic optic neuropathy.." Leukemia & Lymphoma 49, no. 2, 370 - 370.
- Kapoor KG; Katz SE; Grzybowski DM; Lubow M, 2008, "Cerebrospinal fluid outflow: an evolving perspective.." Brain Research Bulletin 77, no. 6, 327 - 327.
- Glimcher SA; Holman DW; Lubow M; Grzybowski DM, 2008, "Ex vivo model of cerebrospinal fluid outflow across human arachnoid granulations.." Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 49, no. 11, 4721 - 4721.
- Lubow M; Grzybowski DM; Letson AD; Rennebohm R; Susac JO, 2008, "Fluorescein and indocyanine green angiographies in Susac syndrome.." Retina (Philadelphia, Pa.) 28, no. 8, 1174 - 1174.
- Mehta BC; Holman DW; Grzybowski DM; Chalmers JJ, 2007, "Characterization of arachnoidal cells cultured on three-dimensional nonwoven PET matrix.." Tissue Engineering 13, no. 6, 1269 - 1269.
- Roberts CJ; Rivera BK; Grzybowski DM; Mahmoud AM; Weber PA, 2007, "Effect of low fluence diode laser irradiation on the hydraulic conductivity of perfused trabecular meshwork endothelial cell monolayers.." Current Eye Research 32, no. 7-8, 625 - 625.
- Grzybowski DM; Herderick EE; Kapoor KG; Holman DW; Katz SE, 2007, "Human arachnoid granulations Part I: a technique for quantifying area and distribution on the superior surface of the cerebral cortex.." Cerebrospinal Fluid Research 4, 6 - 6.
- Grzybowski DM; Roberts CJ; Mahmoud AM; Chang JS Jr, 2005, "Model for nonectatic increase in posterior corneal elevation after ablative procedures.." Journal Of Cataract And Refractive Surgery 31, no. 1, 72 - 72.
- Holman DW; Grzybowski DM; Mehta BC; Katz SE; Lubow M, 2005, "Characterization of cytoskeletal and junctional proteins expressed by cells cultured from human arachnoid granulation tissue.." Cerebrospinal Fluid Research 2, 9 - 9.
- Himburg HA; Grzybowski DM; Hazel AL; LaMack JA; Li XM; Friedman MH, 2004, "Spatial comparison between wall shear stress measures and porcine arterial endothelial permeability.." American Journal Of Physiology. Heart And Circulatory Physiology 286, no. 5, H1916 - H1916.
- Hazel AL; Grzybowski DM; Friedman MH, 2003, "Modeling the adaptive permeability response of porcine iliac arteries to acute changes in mural shear.." Annals Of Biomedical Engineering 31, no. 4, 412 - 412.
- "Modeling the Adaptive Permeability Response of Porcine Iliac Arteries to Changes in Mural Shear." Presented at ASME Bioengineering Division Summer Bioengineering Conference,
- "An In Vitro Model of the Cerebrospinal Fluid Outflow Pathway Through the Arachnoid Granulations." Presented at American Society of Mechanical Engineering, Bioengineering Division Annual Summer Meeting,
- "Transcranial Orbitotomy for Ocular-Orbital Histopathology: The FULL Autopsy is Not Full Enough." Presented at The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology 2010 Annual Meeting,
- "Proposed Mechanism for Non-Ectatic Change in Posterior Surface Shape After an Ablative Procedure." Presented at Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology,
- "Pressure Effect on Hydraulic Conductivity of Human Trabecular Meshwork Cells." Presented at ARVO,
- "Nanoengineered Polymer Scaffold With Controllable Porosity Towards 3D in vitro Trabecular Meshwork Model." Presented at The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology 2010 Annual Meeting,
- "Effect of Antimetabolites on Fibroblast Growth and Inhibition." Presented at American Society for Cell Biology Annual Meeting,
- "Human Arachnoid Granulation Topography and Surface Area Quantification: Significance for PTC." Presented at ARVO,
- "Hydraulic Conductivity of Human Arachnoid Granulation Cap Cells in an In Vitro Model of Cerebrospinal Fluid Outflow." Presented at 3rd Annual Symposium of Neural Hydrodynamics,
- "Vitamin A Transduction Pathways in Human Arachnoid Granulation Tissue and Culture." Presented at ARVO,
- "“Using 3-D Printed Materials to Support Learning in the Biological Sciences." Columbus, USA, presented at the 2018 Science Education Council of Ohio Symposium
- "Making Science Education Accessible for Students with Visual Impairments." Columbus, USA, presented at OCALICON 2017,
- "Making Meaning through Art Integrated Engineering." Columbus, USA, presented at 2017 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference
- "Engineering Education for Students with Visual Impairments." Columbus, USA, presented at 2017 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference
- "Engineering Education for Students with Visual Impairments." Worthington, USA, presented at Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired of Ohio Conference 2016
- "EEVI: Engineering Education for Students with Visual Impairments." Boston, USA, presented at the 2017 Council for Exceptional Children
- "EEVI: Engineering Education for Students with Visual Impairments." Columbus, USA, presented at the 2016 National Science Teachers Association
- "“MAKER: Utilizing 3D Printing of Nanotechnology Design Project Prototypes to Enhance Undergraduate Learning." New Orleans, USA, presented at 2016 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference
- "Design as the Practice of Probability: Engaging Adolescent Girls in Art-Infused Engineering." New Orleans, USA, presented at 2016 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference
- "MAKER: Applications of 3D Printing and Laser Cutting in Development of Autonomous Robotics." New Orleans, USA, presented at 2016 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference
- "Assessment of Inverted Classroom Success Based on Felder’s Index of Learning Styles." Seattle, USA, presented at 2015 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference
Papers in Proceedings
- Grzybowski, D.M.; FU, J.; Lei, Q.; Cheng, D. Comparison of Engineering Honors Education in America and China—Based on the Analysis of Course Syllabi in the First-year Program and Experimental Class. in 2018 American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition. https://peer.asee.org/29863, (6 2018).
- Grzybowski, D.M.; FU, J.; Lei, Q.; Cheng, D. What Should be Taught in Engineering Ethics Education Under Globalization? Based on the Comparative Analysis of University Textbooks in China and the United States. in 2018 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition. https://peer.asee.org/31236, (6 2018).
- Grzybowski, D.M., Stavrdis, O., Sorby, S.A., Merrill, J., Thomas, J.G., Barclay, L., Abrams, L. "Impact of Optional Supplemental Course to Enhance Spatial Visualization Skills in First-Year Engineering Students." in 2014 American Society for Engineering Education. (6 2014).
- Kecskemety, K., Grzybowski, D.M. "Student Perceptions of Inverted Classroom Benefits in a First-Year Engineering Course." in 2014 American Society for Engineering Education. (6 2014).
- Spang, M.T., Grzybowski, D.M., Strickland, A. A. "Works in Progress: Impact of First-Year Micro-/Nano-Technology Research Project Course on Future Research and Graduate/Professional School Involvement." in 2014 American Society for Engineering Education. (6 2014).
- Hird, N.L. and Grzybowski, D.M. "Impact of Computational Fluid Dynamics use in a First-Year Engineering Research Design Project on Future Performance in Fluid Mechanics." in 2014 American Society for Engineering Education. (6 2014).
- Harper, K.A., Baker, G.R, and Grzybowski, D.M. "First Steps in Strengthening the Connections Between Mathematics and Engineering." in 2013 American Society for Engineering Education. (6 2013).
- B. Kim, D. M. Grzybowski, P. Weber, C. J. Roberts, and Y. Zhao "Electrospun Micro/Nanofiber Assisted In Vitro Construction of Trabecular Meshwork for Glaucoma Investigation." in Proceeding of the 13th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (MicroTAS'09). (1 2009).
- Tezel, G.; Ben-Hur, T.; Gibson, G.E.; Stevens, B. et al. "The role of glia, mitochondria, and the immune system in glaucoma." (3 2009).
- S.W. Price, B. Kim, C.J. Roberts, D.M. Grzybowski and Y. Zhao "Investigating the Porosity of Trabecular Meshwork Using Microfabricated Structures for Glaucoma Treatments." in Proceeding of the 12th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (MicroTAS'08). (1 2008).
- Grzybowski, D.M.; Rivera, B.K.; Roberts, C.J.; Weber, P.A. "H-3-Noradrenaline release from mouse iris-ciliary body: Role of muscarinic heteroreceptors.." (4 2004).
- Grzybowski, D.M.; Rivera, B.K.; Roberts, C.J.; Weber, P.A. "Comparison of perfused glaucomatous and non-glaucomatous trabecular meshwork cell monolayers to low fluence diode laser irradiation." (4 2004).
- Holman, D.; Grzybowski, D.M.; Kapoor, K.; Mehta, B. et al. "Development of an in vitro model to study Pseudotumor cerebri." (4 2004).