- Assistant Professor, Dept of Engineering Education
2070 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
Ph.D., Engineering Education, Purdue University, 2015
M.S., Industrial Engineering, Purdue University, 2014
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Kansas State University, 2008
Dr. Emily Dringenberg is an Assistant Professor at The Ohio State University in the Department of Engineering Education. Her research is focused on decision making within the context of design learning. She is working to leverage engineering education research to shift the culture of engineering to be more inclusive of diverse individuals and more in alignment with current research on decision making. With a focus on qualitative research methods, she is working to better understand the ways in which undergraduate engineering students experience design and ill-structured problem solving. Her interests also include neuroscience, growth mindset, engineering ethics, and race and gender in engineering. In general, Dr. Dringenberg is always excited to learn new things and work with motivated individuals from diverse backgrounds to improve engineering education.
**Currently looking for graduate and undergraduate research assistants interested in studying engineering student beliefs. For more info, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org**
- Dringenberg, E. (PI). (07/01/2018-06/30/2021). “Research: Engineering Students’ Beliefs about Decision-Making,” Pending Grand Proposal: National Science Foundation. $344,572.
- Betz, A. R. & Dringenberg, E. (Co-PI). (09/01/2017-08/31/2017). “Research Initiation: The Formation of Engineering Students' Beliefs about Intelligence,” Funded Grant Proposal: National Science Foundation. $199,999.
Publications (Journal Articles)
- Dringenberg, E., Purzer, Ş. (Under Review). Engineering Students' Experiences with Ill-Structured Problems when Working in First-Year Design Teams. Journal of Engineering Education.
- Fila, N. D., Hess, J. L., Purzer, Ş., & Dringenberg, E. (2016). Engineering Students’ Utilization of Empathy during a Non-Immersive Conceptual Design Task. International Journal of Engineering Education, 32(3B).
Publications (Book Chapter)
- Purzer, Ş., Moore, T. J., Dringenberg, E. (In Press). Cognition and engineering: Learning transfer and knowledge building. In Y. J. Dori & D. Baker (Eds.), Cognition, metacognition, and culture in STEM education. Springer.
Peer Reviewed Proceedings
- Dringenberg, E., Wertz, R. E. H. (2016). Work in Progress: How Do First-Year Engineering Students Experience Ambiguity in Engineering Design Problems: The Development of a Self-Report Instrument. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, New Orleans, LA.
- Dringenberg, E., Mendoza-Garcia, J. A., Tafur, M., Hsu, M., Fila, N. (2015). Using Phenomenography: What are Key Considerations when Selecting a Specific Research Approach? Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, WA.
- Chua, M., Dringenberg, E. (2014). Work In Progress: The Quest for the Mythical Phoenix: Attendee Narratives at an Engineering Education Faculty Workshop. Proceedings of the Frontiers in Education Annual Conference, Madrid, Spain
- Dringenberg, E. (2014). First Year Students’ Understanding of Normal Distributions: A Preliminary Study of Previous Exposure, Self-Efficacy and Content Knowledge. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education IL-IN Regional Conference, Terre Haute, IN.
- Denick, D., Dringenberg, E., Fayyaz, F., Nelson, L., Pitterson, N., Tolbert, D., Yatchmeneff, M., Cardella, M. (2013). STEM Thinking in Informal Environments: Integration and Recommendations for Formal Settings. In Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education IL-IN Regional Conference, Angola, IN.
- Dringenberg, E., Wertz, R. E. H. Purzer, Ş., & Strobel, J. (2012). Development of the Science and Engineering Classroom Learning Observation Protocol. In Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, San Antonio, TX.
- Dringenberg, E., Wiener, J., Purzer, Ş., Groh, J. (2012). Measuring the impact of engineering outreach on middle school students’ perceptions. In Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education IL-IN Regional Conference. Valparaiso, IN.
Presentations & Invited Talks
- Dringenberg, E., Betz, A. (June 3, 2016) Growth Mindset: How do your perceptions of intelligence help or hinder the teaching and learning environments that you create? Closing Plenary Session. Big XII Teaching and Learning Conference. Manhattan, KS.
- Dringenberg, E. (February, 2016) Introduction to Implicit Bias. Guest lecture for the K-State Office for the Advancement of Women in Science and Engineering. Manhattan, KS.
- Dringenberg, E. (October, 2015) Recognizing Patterns in Gender Bias. Women in Engineering seminar at Kansas State University. Manhattan, KS.
- Dringenberg, E. (October, 2014) Engineering students engaging with ill-defined problems. Research Seminar in Engineering Education presented for Kansas State University Faculty. Manhattan, KS.
- Dringenberg, E. (April & September, 2014) How do first-year engineering students experience the introduction of ill-defined problems? Poster presented at Women in Engineering Program GMP Conference & Big 10 Conference Graduate Expo. West Lafayette, IN.
- Dringenberg, E. (November, 2012) A review of literature on transfer of knowledge theories. Presentation at Purdue Engineering Education Research Seminar. West Lafayette, IN.
- Dringenberg, E. (October, 2011) From the HS Engineering Classroom to ENE Research. Poster presented at New Directions in ENE Research Symposium. West Lafayette, IN.
- Dringenberg, E. & Ciatti, S. (2007). Four-Cylinder, 22L Direct-Injection, Omnivorous Engine Project. U.S. Department of Energy Journal of Undergraduate Research, 191. Retrieved from https://applicationlink.labworks.org/scied/Abstracts2007/ANL.htm
- Dringenberg, E. & Pointer, W. D. (2006). Validation of CFD Code for Heavy-Vehicle External Aerodynamics Simulation. U.S. Department of Energy Journal of Undergraduate Research, 185. Retrieved from https://applicationlink.labworks.org/scied/Abstracts2006/ANL.htm
- Dringenberg, E. (August 2006). Validation of CFD Code for Heavy-Vehicle External Aerodynamics Simulation. Presented at Argonne National Laboratory’s Undergraduate Research Symposium. Argonne, IL